Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Week 9: Reading Diary A

As soon as the woman by the river agreed to marry Shantanu on the condition that he would never question her, I knew something was fishy. I guessed many things, but I did not guess that she would drown her own children. I thought this was extremely messed up, but of course there is more to the story than that. So it turns out that she is a god, who has been giving birth to gods and then killing them so they can become gods again. From this perspective it seems that the eighth child is the unlucky one, for he has to endure his human incarnation.

Bhishma seems like a pretty selfless person in renouncing his claim to the throne and letting his father marry another woman. I could not imagine letting my father get married again if it meant that I would never be able to marry a woman. I don't think Bhishma deserves the revenge that amba is seeking, after all he let her go to the person she wanted to marry. The King of Shalwa proves to be a jealous man for no good reason, Amba should be plotting against him. I love how the birth defects of Vyasa's children were brought about because of things like the mother closing her eyes while conceiving the baby.

So far this story has featured a lot of sex. Even the deer was getting it on. But of course the deer was actually a god so Pandu is totally going to die if he has sex again. Pandu wants sons, and finds a clever loophole to get them without having sex. Of course these aren't really Pandu's sons, but he will be their father.


No comments:

Post a Comment