Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 1: Storybook Favorites

When I first scrolled through the list of Indian Epics scrapbooks, the first one to catch my eye was Food and Culture. I love Indian food and frequent Indian restaurants in my hometown of Tulsa and in Norman. The welcome page of the storybook featured some pictures Indian food and spices. The author briefly introduced herself, and explained why she was interested in this topic. Then the author discussed several Indian dishes and her travels in India. The text was accompanied by images of the dishes she was discussing, or the location she was describing. I thought the images she chose accompanied the text very well.  At the end of the storybook, the author shared two recipes with her readers. I think I might try and prepare the Chicken Tarkari.

Next I investigated Zoo Animal History, which seemed like an interesting topic. I expected to learn about animals in Indian zoos, but was pleasantly surprised. The author created a fictional zoo filled with three animal characters of the epics, and told a brief summary of the animal and how it relates with the story and characters of the epics. I thought this was a creative way to cover this topic. The author included images of the animals in the zoo, which helped visually represent these characters for someone who is not familiar with them.

Finally, I read the Indian Travels storybook. I also love to travel and was interested in the authors travel experience. The author introduced herself and talked about the three locations she most wanted to visit in India. The first location was the Himalaya Mountains, which I found interesting because I love the mountains. I've been mountain climbing in many states here in the U.S., and I've also been glacier climbing in Washington. I also would love to visit the Himalayas.

No comments:

Post a Comment